International People's Tribunal on Human Rights and Justice in Kashmir (IPTK)
Back to the Table of Contents
Unknown, Unmarked, and Mass Graves in Indian-Administered Kashmir
- Anonymous. 1995. "Blood in the Valley: Kashmir - Behind the Propaganda Curtain." Bombay: Lokshahi Hakk Sanghatana.
- Talal Asad. 2007. On Suicide Bombing. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Sumantra Bose. 2005. Kashmir: Roots of Conflict, Paths to Peace. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Ian Brownlie. 1998. Principles of Public International Law, New York Clarendon Press.
- Allen Buchanan. 2007. Justice, Legitimacy, and Self-Determination: Moral Foundations for International Law. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Partha Chatterjee. 1993. The Nation and Its Fragments. New Jersey: Princeton University Press.
- Angana P. Chatterji. 2009. Violent Gods: Hindu Nationalism in India's Present; Narratives from Orissa. Gurgaon: Three Essays Collective.
- Margaret Cox, Ambika Flavel, Ian Hanson, Joanna Laver, and Roland Wessling. 2008. The Scientific Investigation of Mass Graves: Towards Protocols and Standard Operating Procedures. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Wolfgang F. Danspeckgruber, ed. 2002. The Self-Determination of Peoples: Community, Nation, and State in an Interdependent World. Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers.
- Veena Das. 2002. "The Act of Witnessing: Violence, Poisonous Knowledge, and Subjectivity," in Veena Das, Arthur Kleinman, Mamphela Ramphele, and Pamela Reynolds, eds., Violence and Subjectivity, 205-25. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Knut Dormann. 2003. "The legal situation of unlawful/unprivileged combatants," The International Review of the Red Cross, 85 (849).
- Michel Foucault. 1979. Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison. New York: Pantheon Press.
- Michel Foucault. 1980. Power/Knowledge. New York: Pantheon Press.
- Michel Foucault. 2000. "Governmentality," in Power: Essential Works of Foucault, 1954-1984, Volume 3, ed. James Faubion, 201-22. New York: The New Press.
- Michel Foucault. 2007. Territory, Population, Lectures at the Collège De France, 1977-1978. Translation Graham Burchell. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Michel Foucault. 2008. The Birth of Biopolitics, Lectures at the Collège De France, 1978-1979. Translation Graham Burchell. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Martin Griffiths. 2003. "Self-determination, International Society And World Order." Macquarie University Law Journal, 1.
- William D. Haglund. 2002. "Recent Mass Graves, an Introduction," in William D. Haglund and Marcella H. Sorg, eds., Method, Theory, and Archaeological Perspectives, 243-61. New York: CRC Press.
- William D. Haglund, Melissa Connor, and Douglas D. Scott. 2001. "The Archaeology of Contemporary Mass Graves." Historical Archaeology 35(1): 57-69.
- Hurst Hannum. 1996. Autonomy, Sovereignty, and Self-Determination: The Accommodation of Conflicting Rights. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Mark W. Janis. 2003. An Introduction to International Law, New York: Aspen Publishers.
- Abdul R. JanMohamed. 2005. The Death-Bound-Subject: Richard Wright's Archaeology of Death. Durham: Duke University Press.
- Michael Kolodner. 1996. "Violence as Policy in the Occupations of
Palestine, Kashmir, and Northern Ireland." Master's Thesis, Amherst College.
- Debra Komar. 2008. "Patterns of Mortuary Practice Associated with Genocide: Implications for Archaeological Research." Current Anthropology 49(1): 123-33.
- Alastair Lamb. 1997. Incomplete Partition: The Genesis of the Kashmir Dispute, 1947-1948. Hertingfordbury: Roxford Books
- Percy Lehning. 1998. Theories of Secession. New York: Routledge.
- Peter Malanczuk. 1997. Akehurst's Modern Introduction to International Law, USA and Canada: Routledge.
- A. K. Mant. 1987. "Knowledge acquired from post-war exhumation," in A. Boddington, A.N. Garland, and R.C. Janaway, eds., Death, Decay and Reconstruction, Approaches to Archaeology and Forensic Science, 10-21. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Mark David "Max" Maxwell and Sean M. Watts. 2007. "Unlawful Enemy Combatant: Status, Theory of Culpability, or Neither?" Journal of International Criminal Justice. ICJ 5(1): 19-25.
- T. Meron. 1989. Human Rights and Humanitarian Norms as Customary Law, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Aleksandar Pavkovic and Peter Radan. 2003. "In Pursuit of Sovereignty and Self-determination: Peoples, States and Secession in the International Order." Macquarie University Law Journal, 1.
- Michael S. Pollanen. 2002. "Forensic Survey of Three Memorial
Sites Containing Human Skeletal Remains in the Kingdom of Cambodia."
Mission Report to the Coalition for International Justice, Washington, D.C.
- Mridu Rai. 2004. Hindu Rulers, Muslim Subjects: Islam, Rights, and the History of Kashmir. Delhi: Permanent Black.
- Arundhati Roy. 2009. Field Notes to Democracy: Listening to Grasshoppers. New Delhi: Haymarket Books.
- Olivier Roy. 2004. Globalized Islam: The Search for a New Ummah. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Stefan Schmitt. 2002. "Mass Graves and the Collection of Forensic Evidence: Genocide, War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity," in William D. Haglund and Marcella H. Sorg, eds., Advances in Forensic Taphonomy: Method, Theory and Archaeological Perspectives, 277-92. New York: CRC Press.
- Mark Skinner. 1987. "Planning the Archaeological Recovery of Evidence from Recent Mass Graves." Forensic Sciences International (34): 267-87.
- Robert Wirsing. 2003. Kashmir in the Shadow of Rivalries in a Nuclear Age. New York: M. E. Sharpe.
Reports, Statements, and Appeals
- Amnesty International. 2009. "One killed, 150 injured as protests continue in Jammu & Kashmir following rape and murder of two young women".
- Angana Chatterji. 2008. "Letter of Appeal to the UN Re. Cases of Security Forces Killing and Injuring Civilians in Kashmir (September 11).
- Angana P. Chatterji, Parvez Imroz, Gautam Navlakha, Zahir-Ud-Din, Mihir Desai, Khurram Parvez. 2009. "Militarization with Impunity: A Brief on Rape and Murder in Shopian, Kashmir." Srinagar: International People's Tribunal on Human Rights and Justice in Indian-administered Kashmir.
- Manoel de Almeida e Silva. 2002. Briefing by Spokesperson for the Special Representative of the Secretary General, Afghanistan, April 11, 2002.
- Asia Watch (A Division of Human Rights Watch) and Physicians for Human Rights. 1993. "The Human Rights Crisis in Kashmir: A Pattern of Impunity." New York: Human Rights Watch.
- Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons. 2008. "Facts Under Ground: A fact-finding mission on nameless graves & mass graves in Uri area." Srinagar: Coalition of Civil Society.
- Radhika Coomaraswamy. 2001. "Violence against women perpetrated and/or condoned by the State during times of armed conflict (1997-2000)." Commission on Human Rights, United Nations document E/CN.4/2001/73.
- James A. Goldston, Patricia Gossman, and the Asia Watch Committee. 1991. "Human Rights in India: Kashmir Under Siege." Washington D.C.: Human Rights Watch;
- Dennis M. Hatcher and Kathryn Roe Coker (733rd Military Police Battalion). 2004. "The Global War on Terrorism: Operation Iraq Freedom." Fort McPherson: Office of Army Reserve History, United States Army Reserve Command.
- Human Rights Watch. 1991. "Abdication of Responsibility: The Commonwealth and Human Rights." New York: Human Rights Watch.
- Human Rights Watch. 1996. "India's Secret Army in Kashmir." New York: Human Rights Watch.
- Human Rights Watch. 2004. "Leave None to Tell the Story: Genocide in Rwanda," New York: Human Rights Watch. http://www.hrw.org/legacy/reports/1999/rwanda/index.htm
- Human Rights Watch. 2006. "'Everyone Lives in Fear': Patterns of Impunity in Jammu and Kashmir." New York: Human Rights Watch.
- Human Rights Watch. 2006. "'With Friends Like These': Human Rights Violations in Azad Kashmir." September, Volume 18, No. 12(C). New York: Human Rights Watch.
- Human Rights Watch. 2009. "India: Overhaul Abusive, Failing Police System." New York: Human Rights Watch.
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre. 2007. "India: Large numbers of IDPs [internally displaced persons] are unassisted and in need of protection."
- Institute of War and Peace Reporting. 2008. "DRC: Ituri case revives village horrors." http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/RWB.NSF/db900SID/SKAI-7FVS22?OpenDocument
- Project Ploughshares. 2008. Armed Conflicts Report: India-Kashmir.
- Public Commission on Human Rights. 2006. "State of Human Rights in Jammu and Kashmir." Srinagar: Coalition of Civil Society.
- World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous Peoples, Democratic Republic of Congo Overview. http://www.minorityrights.org/5082/democratic-republic-of-the-congo/democratic-republic-of-the-congo-overview.html
Legal and Government Documents
- The Atlantic Charter of 1941.
- Convention on the Non-Applicability of Statutory Limitations to
War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity of 1968.
- European Parliament Resolution on Mass Graves in Indian-administered Kashmir: P6_TA(2008)0366.
- The Geneva Conventions of 1949. http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/genevaconventions
- Convention (I) for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and
Sick in Armed Forces in the Field. Geneva, 12 August 1949.
- Convention (II) for the Amelioration of the Condition of Wounded, Sick and Shipwrecked Members of Armed Forces at Sea. Geneva, 12 August 1949.
- Convention (III) relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War. Geneva, 12
- Convention (IV) relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of
War. Geneva, 12 August 1949. http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/7c4d08d9b287a42141256739003e636b/6756482d86146898c125641e004aa3c5
- Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts (Protocol I), 8 June 1977.
- Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and relating to the Protection of Victims of Non-International Armed Conflicts (Protocol II), 8 June 1977. http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/FULL/475?OpenDocument
- For list of State Parties to Geneva Conventions see ICRC website at:
- Hague Convention. 1907. Laws and Customs of War on Land (Hague IV).
- India Code of Criminal Procedure. 1973.
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).
- International Covenant on Economic, Social, and Cultural
- Jammu and Kashmir Government. 1971. Ranbir Penal Code (XII of 1989 [Act XII of 1932]), 762-961.
- Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. 2001. "Census 2001: State-wise Population by Religion." New Delhi: Government of India.
- Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. 2001. "Projected Total Population by sex as on 1st March-2001-2026 India, States and Union Territories." New Delhi: Government of India
- The Rome Statute. 2002. http://www.icc-cpi.int/NR/rdonlyres/EA9AEFF7-5752-4F84-BE94-0A655EB30E16/0/Rome_Statute_English.pdf
- United Nations Charter of 1945. >http://www.un.org/en/documents/charter/index.shtml
- United Nations Commission on Human Rights. 1997. Resolution: Question of the Death Penalty: E/CN.4/RES/1997/12.
- United Nations Commission on Human Rights. 2004. Resolution: Question of the Death Penalty: E/CN.4/RES/2004/67.
- United Nations Convention relating to the Status of
Stateless Persons (1954).
- [United Nations] General Assembly 51st Session, Agenda item 110b, "Human Rights
Questions: Human Rights Questions Including Alternative Approaches for Improving the Effective Enjoyment of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms; Extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions; Note by the Secretary-General."
- [United Nations] Guidelines for the Conduct of UN Inquiries into Allegations of Massacres. 1995. DPI/1710.
- United Nations Security Council Resolutions. 1948. Resolution 38.
- United Nations Security Council Resolutions. 1948. Resolution 39.
- United Nations Security Council Resolutions. 1948. Resolution 51.
- United Nations Security Council Resolutions. 1951. Resolution 91.
- United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights. 1948.
- Case Law
- Prosecutor v. Jean-Paul Akayesu, ICTR-96-4-T, Judgement, 2 September 1998.
- Prosecutor v. Vidoje Blagojevi_ and Dragan Joki_, Case No. IT-02-60-T, Judgement, 17 January 2005.
- Prosecutor v. Radoslav Brdanin, Case No. I IT-99-36-T, Judgement, 1 September 2004.
- Prosecutor v. Enver Hadzihasanovic and Amir Kubura, Case No. IT-01-47-T, Judgement, 15 March 2006.
- Prosecutor v. Goran Jelisić, Case No. IT-95-10-T, Judgement, 14 December 1999.
- Prosecutor v. Clément Kayishema and Obed Ruzindana, ICTR-95-1-T, Judgement, 21 May 1999.
- Prosecutor v. Momcilo Krajisnic, Case: IT-00-39-T, Judgement, 27 September 2006.
- Prosecutor v. Radislav Krstić, Case No. IT-98-33-T, Judgement, 02 August 2001.
- Prosecutor v. Fatmir Limaj et al., Case No. IT-03-66-T, Judgement, 30 November 2005.
- Prosecutor v. Milan Martić, Case No. IT-95-11-T, Judgement, 12 June 2007.
- Prosecutor v. Mrksic et al, Case No. IT-95-13/1-T, Judgement, 27 September 2007.
- Prosecutor v. Athanase Seromba, Case No. ICTR-2001-66-T, Judgement, 13 December 2006.
- Prosecutor v. Mitar Vasiljević, Case No. IT-98-32-T, Judgement, 29 November 2002.
- Peter Beaumont. 2009. "Same old mistakes in new Afghan war," The Guardian (October 18)
- British Broadcasting Corporation. 2003. "The Future of Kashmir?" (June), date noted in Kanishkan Sathasivam. 2005. Uneasy Neighbours: India, Pakistan, and US Foreign Policy, 45. Burlington: Ashgate.
- British Broadcasting Corporation. 2007. DRC troops jailed for war crimes. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6380095.stm
- British Broadcasting Corporation. 2008. "Muslims in huge Kashmir protest," (August 22).
- Parvaiz Bukhari. 2009. "Omar jumps gun on Shopian," India Today (June 12)
- Shujaat Bukhari. 2009. "Yoga, counselling to relieve stress among J&K troops," The Hindu (January 30).
- Elisabeth Bumiller and Mark Landler. 2009. "Civilian Goals Largely Unmet in Afghanistan," The New York Times (October 11).
- Andrew Buncombe and Omar Waraich. 2009. "Pakistan starts huge offensive against Taliban," The Independent (October 18).
- Angana Chatterji. 2008. "Disquiet Ghosts: Mass Graves in Indian Kashmir," The Daily Etala'at (July 9).
- Michael Deibert. 2007. "Kashmiri Separatist Seeks End To Armed Struggle," The Washington Times (February 25).
- Naseer A. Ganai. 2009. "Resolve Kashmir: Omar Tells Delhi," Greater Kashmir (October 14).
- Antonio Guistozzi, ed. 2009. Decoding the New Taliban: Insights form the Afghan Field. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Altaf Hussain. 2007. "The plight of Kashmir's 'half-widows,'" British Broadcasting Corporation (December 4).
- Indo-Asian News Service. 2009. "Kashmir on alert amid fears of militant incursion: Police Chief," Thaindian News (March 25).
- Muzamil Jaleel. 2008. "209 Kashmiri Pandits killed since 1989, say J-K cops in first report," Indian Express (May 4)
- Kashmir Observer. 2009. "Girls Take Up Justice Cry, Brave Police Force" (June 10)
- Kashmir Times. 2008. "Entire Valley Under Siege" (August 24).
- Mail and Guardian Online (October 3, 2005) UN team to probe mass graves in the DRC. http://www.mg.co.za/article/2005-10-03-un-team-to-probe-mass-graves-in-the-drc
- Ishfaq Mir and Shabir Ali. 2009. Associated Press. 2009. "World Briefing: Kashmir: Police Fire On Protesters," New York Times (June 9).
- Gautam Navlakha. 2008. "India in Kashmir: Winning a battle only to lose the war?" Economic and Political Weekly (43/45): 43-9.
- New York Times. 1994." U.N. Discovers Mass Graves In Rwanda" (October 7). http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/07/world/un-discovers-mass-graves-in-rwanda.html
- Athar Parvaiz. 2009. "Conflict threatens wildlife in Kashmir," OneWorld South Asia (February 6).
- Lydia Polgreen. 2009. "2 Killings Stoke Kashmiri Rage at Indian Force," New York Times (August 15).
- Lydia Polgreen and Souad Mekhennet. 2009. "Militant Network Is Intact Long After Mumbai Siege," The New York Times (September 29)
- Muzaffar Raina. 2008. "Pandits in poll to get home," The Telegraph (November 20).
- Ahmed Rashid. 2009. "Analysis: No end in sight for Pakistan's struggle against the Taliban," The Telegraph (October 17).
- Reuters. 2009. "India Withdraws Some Kashmir Troops in Peace Gesture," The New York Times (October 29).
- Rising Kashmir. "June Ghost Revived in Shopian" (June 1).
- Somini Sengupta and Yusuf Jameel. 2008. "Deadly Force Used to Halt March in Kashmir," New York Times (August 11).
- Richard Shapiro. 2009. "A Just Peace in Kashmir? Reflections on Dynamics of Change," Rising Kashmir (August 13).
- The Cable. 2009. "India's stealth lobbying against Holbrooke's brief." Foreign Policy (January 23).
- Arif Safi Wani and Muddasir Ali. 2009. "Troops occupy 10.40 lakh kanals in JK," Greater Kashmir (August 24).
- Emily Wax. 2009. "U.S. Removes Kashmir From Envoy's Mandate; India Exults," The Washington Post (January 30).